Sunday, January 8, 2012

Slow Cooker Applesauce

Every year for our annual Chanukah get together I always make the applesauce. For years I have been making a microwave version from one of the Silver Palette Cookbooks. It is pretty easy but has a whole cup of sugar in it so I really wanted to try to find one that has less sugar since the apples are pretty sweet as it is and no one needs the extra sugar. After searching a few blogs I found this one from skinnytaste.com that you make in the slow cooker. It is sooo easy. The hardest part is peeling the apples. I altered it slightly because it said to cook for 6 hours on low and I found after 3 1/2 - 4 hours it was done. I also added a little water to the pot, about 1/2 cup because I was worried the apples might burn without any liquid. It was really delicious and my whole house smelled of warm apples and cinnamon!

Ingredients:

8 medium apples ( I used 4 Granny Smith and 4 Gala but any combination would work)
1 strip of lemon peel
1 tsp of fresh lemon juice
3 inch cinnamon stick
5 tsp light brown sugar (unpacked)
1/2 C water

Preparation:

Peel, core, and slice the apples. Place them in the slow cooker. Add the cinnamon stick, lemon peel, lemon juice, brown sugar and water.

Set slow cooker to low and cook for 4-6 hours. Stir occassionally, apples will slowly become delicious applesauce. Remove cinnamon stick and lemon peel. Use and immersion blender to blend until smooth or if you prefer a chunky sauce, leave sauce intact.

Makes about 3 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyday Sisters LOVES hearing from you, please leave a comment.