Thursday, September 8, 2011

Lemon Cookies


I saw this recipe on Aunt Nubby's Kitchen when she linked it up to our Sharing Sundays theme YELLOW.  They looked so good that I had to take a look.  I really love anything lemon.  Then I saw how easy they were to make and I never saw a cookie that used Cool Whip as one of the ingredients.  I was too curious not to give them a try myself.  Unfortunately I didn't have all the right ingredients so I made some minor changes and they came out really great.  The biggest difference is that you are suppose to use powdered sugar to roll the dough in and I used granulated sugar.  The taste is still really good but I think the powdered sugar is so much prettier once they are baked.  The other major difference is that I didn't have a boxed Lemon Cake mix so I used a plain Yellow Cake mix and added extra fresh lemon and lemon zest.  I'm going to make them again soon following the recipe exactly and see the difference. If you would like to see the original recipe please click on the link above for Aunt Nubby's Kitchen and it will take you right to the recipe.

Ingredients:

1 box of yellow cake mix
1 egg
Zest from 2 lemons
Juice from 2 1/2 lemons
1 - 8oz tub of cool whip (I used light)
3/4 cup of granulated sugar

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat baking liner.  In a large bowl add cake mix, lemon zest, lemon juice and egg and mix until combines well.  The mixture will be crumbly.  Then add whole tub of cool whip and mix to combine.  The batter will be very sticky.  Place bowl in refrigerate and chill batter for at least 1 hour.  Remove batter from refrigerator.  Put sugar in a small bowl and with a teaspoon drop a small amount of batter directly into sugar.  Spoon sugar on top of batter and then roll with your hand.  The sugar helps you to roll the dough into balls with out it sticking to your hands.  Place balls on lined baking sheet and bake for 17-20 minutes until cookies are light brown.  Let cool a little bit on sheet and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyday Sisters LOVES hearing from you, please leave a comment.