Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving 101 - Cranberry Jello Mold

We have had this jello mold at every Thanksgiving meal since I can remember. We are not sure where it originated but I am guessing my Mom or one of her friends found it in a Women's magazine sometime in the 70s. it has become one of those traditional side dishes that everyone looks forward to once a year on Thanksgiving.



Ingredients:

1 box of red jello 6 oz. or 2 3 oz. boxes
1 C cranberry juice cocktail
2 C boiling water
1 1/2-2 C peeled diced apples
1/2 C whole berry cranberry sauce
1/2 C chopped walnuts
1 C mandarine orange slices

Preparation :

Dissolve jello in boiling water. Add cranberry juice. Add 3/4 C jello mixture to bottom of mold. Place in refrigerator to chill with bowl of jello for 1/2 hour.
Place oranges in the mold and put back in refrigerator and check jello in 1 to 1 1/2 hours to see if jello is slightly firm.
Add mixture of apples, cranberry sauce and chopped walnuts to the bowl of jello and pour into mold. Place back into refrigerator until set.

2 comments:

  1. I love a great cranberry jello and this looks perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this. It's perfectly delicious! Very good cranberry taste. Apples give it a crunch and so do the walnuts. I made it with Simple Mixes strawberry gelatin and followed this recipe just as if it was Jello. Simple Mixes doesn't have all the chemicals. Very fresh tasting. I didn't have any cranberry juice cocktail, but the only different in it and regular cranberry juice is sugar. I added 3.5 TBSP of a sweetener I like (BochaSweet). It sweetens 1 to 1 for sugar. Sugar would be fine, too. Love the mandarins in it, too. Great recipe. Thanks! Perfect for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Everyday Sisters LOVES hearing from you, please leave a comment.