Sunday, September 21, 2014

Roasted Chicken Legs



Growing up our Mother always made this oven roasted chicken.  After speaking with my Mother this morning I found out that it was originally our Grandmother's recipe and also that I made it wrong ;).  LOL  Still delicious and I had all the right ingredients but my technique was off.  It is such a simple recipe but the combination of theses spices are not only delicious but look really pretty too.  They are spices that most people always have in their pantry.  So if you are running out of chicken ideas here is a nice, simple and quick recipe to throw together at the last minute.  I used chicken legs when making this recently because they are so super inexpensive and seem to be the part of the chicken my kids like the most.  If you don't like chicken legs feel free to use any other part of the chicken and prepare in the same manner.  You can't mess this one up!

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons Lawry's season salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
(1-2 tablespoons water *optional)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Place chicken in a shallow un-greased roasting pan.  It's best when you leave the skin on to cook because it keeps the chicken really moist and allows you to cook the chicken for a longer time to achieve a nice crispy exterior without drying out the inside.   If desired you can remove the skin before you eat it.  When I made this the other day I made a dry rub of the spices and sprinkled it over the top of the chicken and baked it halfway (about 30 minutes) and then I flipped the chicken over and sprinkled the other side with the spice rub and cooked it about another 30 minutes until it was golden and the skin was crispy.   I found out however, my Mother and Grandmother made this as a wet rub by adding a little water to the spices and then rubbing the chicken with the wet mixture and cooking the same way.  I think it's a matter of preference but I will definitely try the wet rub next time.


1 comment:

Everyday Sisters LOVES hearing from you, please leave a comment.